Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

JAMIES PASTA CARBONARA

Arabella and I had a brilliant time today at the Harry Potter Studio Tour and so we just had to watch a Harry Potter movie this evening. I wanted to cook something quite easy and quick and surprise surprise Arabella suggested pasta carbonara tonight - her favourite. I have cooked this many times before but decided to try a new recipe tonight and this Jamie Oliver one popped up on the Internet. I did alter it a little as Jamie suggests using a piece of pancetta that you can cut yourself - we had lardons in the fridge so I used those.

Ingredients for 2 people:

3 large free range egg yolks
150g lardons or pancetta
40g Parmesan, grated
Salt and pepper
1 clove of garlic, crushed
200g pasta, we used penne but this is most classically made with spaghetti
Extra virgin olive oil



In a bowl mix together the egg yolks, Parmesan and black pepper and then set aside.




Fry the garlic and lardons / pancetta together in a tiny but of olive oil and boil the pasta according to the packets instructions. You want the pasta to be al dente and this took about 8 minutes for me.





When the pasta is ready, drain but keep aside some of the cooking water - around two cups worth.

Mix the pasta in with the lardons and garlic.



Add some cooking water and make sure you give it a really good stir. Then remove from the heat.



Finally mix in the yolk and cheese mix and some more cooking water if necessary - I definitely needed some to loosen the sauce up a bit.




Serve with a grating of Parmesan and a twist of black pepper.



I have to say I really enjoyed this - totally different to Pascals Pasta Carbonara but I thought just as good as it is obviously less creamy. Arabella preferred Pascals recipe however she still managed to wipe her plate clean as did I. I also liked the way the egg was cooked more as I sometimes do worry about the possible side effects of raw egg…..not that it has ever actually stopped me eating it!

Now time to collapse on the sofa and finish Harry Potter and The Philosophers Stone :-)

Related Posts by Categories

0 comments:

Post a Comment